Re: Newbie Questions - Program dir?

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 05:37:28PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Randy Patterson <tech@patterson-pcc.com> wrote:
>
> > I am in the process of RTFM, I'm in chapter 4 :-) and have googled
> > without really finding an answer. When installing non-Debian packages
> > (EsayEclipse for PHP) from tar.gz files, where is the best place to
> > put them in the dir structure so that all users will have access to
> > them? Is there a 'right' place or does it matter as long as they are
> > outside a users home dir?

AFAIK:

If you're getting a source tarball and compiling it, the source goes in
/usr/local/src and the resultant binaries go under /usr/local.

If you're getting a binary tarball (which therefore doesn't come with a
make uninstall script), you can unpack it into its own directory tree
under /opt (e.g. /opt/EsayEclipse).  You will then have
/opt/EsayEclipse/bin/...

Then when you want to remove this package, just delete its directory.

Remember to put the /opt/... path in user's path.

Doug.