Re: [OT] Graphics programming

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:14:21 -0400
Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> Have you read the origional Fortran for the 704?  Its a hoot (its on
> ibm's website).

For the interested, a quick google search found the following url -
fortran ii listing for the 704. I guess it's the compiler, not that I
can really read it - assembly on the 704 I mean. I learnt assembly for
later systems (360/370) when I was in school.

URL is
http://community.computerhistory.org/scc/projects/FORTRAN/source/fortran-ii/304349-Volume_III.pdf

About 21 megs of PDF. Since it's volume III, one guesses there is a
volume one and two at least. So it's part of the compiler source.

(Un)fortunately I never was young enough to do programming on machines
that were that ancient - best I could do was wait for a couple of hours
for a cobol program to run during finals week at the junior college
around here. But that was on a relatively underpowered 370 running
DOS/VSE with a bunch of student terminals - we even had punch card
early on. That machine only had 2 megs of real (core) memory. ;) Or at
least I think it was still core then.

Older folks have passed down horror stories that some of the original
fortran compile runs were done as N-pass compilers for values of N
close to 20. One had to load the original compiler (on cards) into the
machine too, and the intermediate runs were chained back to back on big
iron tape drives.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.