Re: Re: Help! My gnome desktop has been cleared!

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 22:54 -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 05:48:30PM -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> > I have tried nearly everything and no joy ... yet! I have faith in you guys!
> >
> > I created a new account and it works fine. So does root.
> >
> > Nautilus seems to work fine. I have a couple of launchers
> > in a side panel that do "nautilus /H/hunters/public_html" or
> > similar and they work fine.
> > Also /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop is checked. ...
> >
> > Wait!!! WTF ????
> >
> > Well, it is working now! I don't know just when it happened. Sometime in
> > the course of composing this something triggered it.
> > I just spotted an icon peeking out from behind a window!
> >
> > I knew somebody had the solution, it just didn't work the first
> > time! I just wish I knew what it was that did it.
> >
> > In any event, thanks everybody for the help!
> >
> That's how good we are, fixing your stuff without even a SSH
> connection :)

When a machine hears I am coming along to look at it... it straightens
up, or even the threat of calling me. At least that is what I've been
told many times. I've been told that due to my visit and nothing is
wrong. Sort of like your car, when you take it to the Mechanic, it ain't
broken then.

Sometimes a good stare works, other times its me picking up my
screwdriver or sitting in front of it. There are other non-invasive
techniques they seem to recognize.

Mostly though, percussive maintenance is by and large not needed
anymore, except on the monitors... when they start dropping a color
channel.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Self mastery is the quality of a king.

Be vigilant in your control over the self. If you cannot respond to your
will, how can you expect others to respond?

from The Way of Kings
from Sanskrit Vedas translated by Drew Lawrence