Re: Re: Help! My gnome desktop has been cleared!

I have tried nearly everything and no joy ... yet! I have faith in you guys!

I created a new account and it works fine. So does root.

Nautilus seems to work fine. I have a couple of launchers
in a side panel that do "nautilus /H/hunters/public_html" or
similar and they work fine.
Also /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop is checked. ...

Wait!!! WTF ????

Well, it is working now! I don't know just when it happened. Sometime in the course of composing this something triggered it.
I just spotted an icon peeking out from behind a window!

I knew somebody had the solution, it just didn't work the first
time! I just wish I knew what it was that did it.

In any event, thanks everybody for the help!

Dennis