Re: how to determine X window identifier

* Ed G <egusenet@gmail.com> [070406 15:56]:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:02:20 -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>>
>> For diagnostics, I would like to use "xev" to view the keycodes,
>> but I do not know how to determine the X window identifier of the
>> XEmacs window.
>
> Use the xwininfo(1) command.

Thanks, Ed; that worked.  But I still was unable to see the keystrokes
in the XEmacs window.  All I see are messages of the following form:

    PropertyNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x2e00025,
    atom 0xf4 (WM_LOCALE_NAME), time 3375194277, state
    PropertyNewValue

However, I did find a solution to my ultimate need.  I executed
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and added the option
"altwin:swap_lalt_lwin", then restarted the computer.

The reconfiguration of the X server did not work properly when I
merely restarted the X server; it was necessary to restart the
computer.

RLH