how to determine X window identifier

LONG-TERM GOAL:

Running X on an i386 system with the US PC-104 keyboard and "Dvorak
classic" key mapping, I would like to change the behaviour of the
Ctrl, Alt, and Win keys, and perhaps also the Menu key when running
XEmacs-gnome-nomule.

I wish the following behaviours:

    -> left-hand Ctrl key produces Control_L

    -> right-hand Ctrl key produces Control_R or Control_L

    -> left-hand Alt key produces Alt_L

    -> right-hand Alt key produces Alt_R or Alt_L

    -> left-hand Win key produces Super_L

    -> right-hand Win key produces Super_R or Super_L

    -> Menu key produces Alt_R or Alt_L

In other words, on the bottom row of the keyboard, I wish both Ctrl
keys to produce Ctrl, and the remainder of the keys (with exception of
the space bar) to produce Alt.

I think that I have no need for Level3_Shift. If changing the Menu key
is a problem, the Menu key may be left as it is.

IMMEDIATE NEED:

For diagnostics, I would like to use "xev" to view the keycodes, but I
do not know how to determine the X window identifier of the XEmacs
window.

RLH