Re: hdparm question

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 18:13 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> If memory serves this might be a western digital drive.  postgresql
> recommends disabling drive cacheing if it's on when it's installed or
> upgraded so that if the data base is in use and a power failure happens
> you don't loose the data in the cache that didn't manage to get saved to
> disk before the power goes out.

That was quite a while ago with the western Digital drives.

You could say that about ALL disks that have cache, btw.

I have been using systems with "cheap IDE" drives for year, havne't
disabled the cache and *HAVE* had the db need some work when brought
back up. The thing is, hdparm can cause many more problems than it
solves when using it in this way.

It really is not worth it.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net