Re: backup-restore question

Bob McGowan wrote:
> Chris Parker wrote:
> Question being is it possible to restore a backup from a win32 (2003
> server) ntfs filesystem via tape onto a linux machine.  I want to be
> able to test our backups to make sure all is restorable.  If this is
> possible how to do it into an ext3, ext2 or other linux native
> filesystem?
>
> thanks all for your comments.
> Chris Parker
>>

> Short answer, 95%+ probability, no can do.

> Longer answer, it depends on the backup/archiver tool used.  For
> example, if you perchance have Cygwin installed on your windows system
> and used one of the tools that are common to it and UNIX/Linux (tar and
> cpio come to mind), the answer is an unqualified yes.

> More likely you used a Windows tool, which probably has a proprietary
> archive format, so it can't be read from a Linux box.

> Or, you may have used a tool that's proprietary but that has both
> Windows and Linux versions.  This may work.

> Then, there's the question of whether the backup is an image of the
> filesystem itself or just copies of the files.  If it's an image (a
> 'true' image, such as a 'dd' would make), then you might be able to use
> dd to read the tape into a regular file on the Linux box and then mount
> that using the loop back device feature:

>   dd if=/dev/tape of=/path/to/file bs=10k # or something like this.
>   mount -o loop -t ntfs /path/to/file /path/to/mount/point

> Bob

Actually it is a combination of ntbackup and veritas.  We are in the
process of totally switching to veritas 10g for all backups.  I am not
sure of the format that veritas uses.  I do know that there is a linux
agent (not sure if that comes with it or is an extra).

Veritas will run on a win2k3 server and populate a tape library.  I was
asked if it was possible to test the backups on a linux backup server.
Meaning I was going to set up Etch box and test backups with it if it
was possible.  I will have to check into the veritas format, unless
anyone else knows if this would work.

Thanks again,
Chris