Re: Portable Debian?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:10:51PM +0000, - Tong - wrote:

> YES, all the steps you described are for DSL. and yes, DSL allows you to
> automatically install .dsl (not .deb) files the way you described.
>
> DSL has already come with X windows, email/browser/word processing/slide
> presentations, etc. What's amazing is that it is ONLY 50M. Feel free to put
> more packages onto CD/USB if you have space, and there is a huge list of
> tools to choose from.
>
> It's an amazing distro that saved my day...

I've wondered how a live distro gets security updates.  I don't see
anything about security on its web page.  I suppose it depends on what
you want to do with it; if its not going to be connected to the 'net
then its not as important.  If you want to use it to download, email,
browse, etc, then that may be an issue, especially if you consider how
frequently security updates to browsers have come down the pipe.

When you say 'prepare a usb', do you mean a usb flash drive, or a
USB-attached portable hard drive?

Also, by tiny, do you mean tiny filesystem size or memory footprint and
processing requirements?

Doug.