Sarge to Etch, slighrly botched

Today I followed the official Etch release notes to upgrade from Sarge to Etch and all went pretty well, except for some X services, i.e., the XDM and XFS services are no longer started at boot, nor can I start them manually with /etc/init.d/<service name>. Other TCP services like SSH and MySQL listener fire up just fine at boot, so the problem seems restricted to X-related network services.

I do recall that during the upgrade I was advised that some TCP and UDP portmapper services would have to be manually restarted, but I am too much of a newbie to understand if that means something different that running a script from /etc/init.d/.

All hints welcome!

Thanks
Terry Branscombe
[skype me at 'tbranscombe']