Re: why a sound works for output and not for input??

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 18:41 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I was suprised  by the sound card on my laptop (Compaq ), it is great
> and run correctly for the output and can hear all audio cd's and audio
> file, but I can't record.
>
> The card is detected correctly same propreties as given by the
> official installed windXP. ( on windows it works correclty), So I am
> sure the device is correctly detected.
>
> Is there a special checking to test the card for the recording ???
> is there a special module for the recording which different that for reading??

Unmute the microphone, select the microphone for capture? What are you
trying to use to record? What are you trying to do in the first place?
What Distro are you using? Is it Debian? Woody (v3.0)? Sarge (v3.1) Etch
(v4.0 not quite out yet)? Sid? What particular programs are you trying
to use to rceord with? What if any errors are you getting? Have you
tried to launch the program from a command-line xterm? If so, what
errors are you getting? If not, how do you know it isn't working and is
just muted?

Windows functionality, to be honest, doesn't concern us. But it is nice
to know you have installed Linux on the machine. Now if we can get
better info out of you...!
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup