why a sound works for output and not for input??

Hi,
I was suprised  by the sound card on my laptop (Compaq ), it is great
and run correctly for the output and can hear all audio cd's and audio
file, but I can't record.

The card is detected correctly same propreties as given by the
official installed windXP. ( on windows it works correclty), So I am
sure the device is correctly detected.

Is there a special checking to test the card for the recording ???
is there a special module for the recording which different that for reading??

thanks for any help
best regards
bela