Re: Disk logical backup tools

On Thursday 05 April 2007 06:24, - Tong - wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any tools that can backup disk partitions logically, for both
> Linux & Windoze partitions?

from man ntfsclone:
NTFSCLONE(8)

NAME
       ntfsclone - Efficiently clone, image, restore or rescue an NTFS

It's part of the ntfsprogs package.

For win32 etc. and linux partitions, I just copy the files. Linux is
powerful enough to recover/recreate partitions as you need them.

Partimage has already been suggested; for ntfs I would prefer ntfsclone,
though.

> By logical backup I meant, at least the backup tools don't do blind sector
> to sector backup. Ideally it would be something like Norton Ghost. I hope
> I can use it to backup Windoze partitions under Linux, and restore to
> VmWare virtual drives.

Don't know, if this works to restore for VMware.

HTH,
Johannes