Grub question: any risk in doing this?

I want to use Sidux to install Debian on a Thinkpad Z61M which has
Ubuntu preinstalled (and I don't want to lose it). Question: is it safe
to let the Sidux installation rewrite grub?

More details if required: I have Ubuntu on a primary partition
/dev/sda3, with /home on a logical partition /dev/sda5.  I want to keep
Ubuntu because I am not sure if I can get wlan to work on Sidux; ditto
suspend to disk.

I am thinking of installing Sidux on /dev/sda1, previously a Windows
partition. If I allow Sidux to rewrite the boot partition to install
grub, will it still be possible to access Ubuntu, presumably by editing
/boot/grub/menu.lst?

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian