Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2007 #1031

On Tuesday 03 April 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
The only reason I need a new kernel is because when I compile modules
and try to install them it says:
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module
format.

Can you compile tis module against the old kernel sources?
Also, the same can happen going from gcc3 to gcc4.
Such problems can also be solved using vi if you have the guts: find the magic
string, kernel and gcc versions and edit. Only works if old and new string
lengths are identical. Never insert or delete anything :-)

Well here's the thing...the old kernel was the one installed by the
installer.  The sources are the same version as the kernel (both are
2.6.18).  I don't know how to get the sources that actually match.