Re: Newbie Question - KDE-Gnome-xfce

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:12:28PM -0500, Randy Patterson wrote:
> I have only had Debian up and going for about two weeks. Had Sarge installed
> but had problems with my USB hardware so just did a clean install of Etch.
> Works great!! Since I am a new user I don't have a favorite windowing system
> that I prefer and was wondering if someone to point me to a good link that
> would describe the strengths and weaknesses or pros and cons of each system.
> KDE installed as default with Sarge and Etch so I assume they chose that for
> a reason and it is the only one I have used. I have looked but haven't been
> able to find a good comparison them.

Sounds like a religious question :)

If you don't find any objective comparisons, do what others before you
have done: install them one at a time and try them out.

Personally, I used to use icewm (still do on my 486).  On my new Athlong
box, I started with icewm but I don't think the menu configuration is as
simple as it ought.  I didn't like gnome's file selector and other
high-level widgets, liked XFce4 but since I also didn't like the mozilla
geko browsers used Konquorer.  Since that brought in most of the kde
libs anyway, gave kde a try.  So far, I'm sticking with it since I can
easily configure anything.  Then again I've got tons of ram, disk space,
and cycles to spare.

Good luck.

Doug.