Re: distro for 486 with 32 MB ram

Hello Douglas,

Am 2007-03-20 14:00:22, schrieb Douglas Allan Tutty:
> I have a 486 with 32 MB ram, ISA bus NIC, currently running Sarge.  Now
> that Etch RC2 is out I'm starting to plan for the future of this box.
> The Etch install manual says that it needs 64 MB ram.  I know that Sarge
> will continue to be supported for a while but I may as well start
> planning.
>
> I know: someone will give me the proverbial quarter and tell me to get a
> real computer :)
>
> I never could run Sarge's installer re memory so went with Woody and
> upgraded.  I can try that with Etch but want to have a fall-back
> position in case the attempt hoses.  I'm on very slow dialup so getting
> back to where its at now would take a few weeks.  Since Sarge's aptitude
> takes a few minutes to load (due to the size of the packages file), I
> fear that Etch will take proportionally longer and run out of memory.

Why not:

1)  catch the "Packages.gz" of Etch
2)  then make a list of the installed Sarge Packages
3)  create a list of the DEPENDENCIES for all the installed Sarge
    packages (dependencies have changed...)
4)  download the list using "wget"
5)  use "dpkg-scanpackages" to create a NEW Packages.gz
6)  setup your "/etc/apt/sources.list" to use this Repository ONLY.
7)  go into "/var/lib/dpkg/" and delete the files "available" and
    "available-old"

and now run

8)  apt-get update
9)  apt-get dist-upgrade

without any hassles...

After the seccessfull update you can change the

"/etc/apt/sources.list" back to an official Etch mirror.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)