Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Am 2007-03-22 06:34:20, schrieb Michael Pobega:
> I didn't mean "seemed" in a way that I didn't know. I actually went to
> the forums everyday, and there WAS at least three topics about
> dist-upgrades breaking going from Dapper to Edgy, or Edgy to Feisty.
> Dist-upgrades to break here, but we hear about them maybe once a week.
>
> I am 100% SURE that Ubuntu's dist-upgrade breaks more often than
> Debian's, and I am certain that the number is 75% or so (Give or take
> a bit, 75% is an estimation, not a number written into stone).

Definitivly right, since I use Debian from 2.1 Slink, over 2.2 Potato
to 3.0 Woody up to 3.1 Sarge and now 4.0 Etch.

But NOW it broke my purse, since I catched all installed packages on
my 28 Computers @home unified the list and downloaded the new Etch
Packages.gz and created a new downloadlist with all dependencies!

F...!!!

Since I live mobile in a Motorcaravan, it is not realy funny to
download 500 MByte unneeded Packages and have installed twenty
xserver-xorg-video-* installed on a system which had never had
an ful xserver since it was a ROUTER or a SERVER which havd only
xfree86-common installed...

This was the only one I have had problems with dist-upgrade!

This can only be prevented by installing a known (!!!) core
package.

On my workstations this mean seting up /etc/apt/source.list to
Etch, make the "apt-get update" and then an

    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-mga

which installs some dependiencies and break your X for a moment.
NOW, you can do the rest with an

    apt-get dist-upgrade

and you will have back a working xserver.  UFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note:   Etch will install by default "xserver-xorg-video-all"
        which is for MODEM USER and users like me which using
        GSM (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS) definitivly inacceptable!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)