Re: Bad cups printing after upgrade from sarge to etch

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:55:09PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> I would try to change the quality setting by using the "lpoptions"
> command, both as your normal user and as root. Maybe this will turn up a
> clue. Is your normal user a member of the "lpadmin" group?

No, but I can do that as root;

> The manpage of lpoptions has all the details; it should work something
> like this:
>
> $ lpoptions -l | grep -i quality
> Quality/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: *FromPrintoutMode 300DraftGrayscaleK 300GrayscaleK 600GrayscaleK
>
> $ lpoptions -o Quality=600GrayscaleK
> $ lpoptions -l | grep -i quality
> Quality/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: FromPrintoutMode 300DraftGrayscaleK 300GrayscaleK *600GrayscaleK

OK, that works. There are two settings, Quality and Resolution.
When I change them using lpoptions, then lpoptions gives back the
changed values. (But the web interface doesn't).
But the resolution is still the lowest.

Then I tried setting with both lpoptions and the web interface. Didn't
work either.

So I tried something else: I used another driver, called
"Epson Stylus Color 800 Foomatic/stcolor (recommended) (en)".
It's not for the STC 850... But it works! (Although it won't
print in 1440x720, but I don't need that -- 720 DPI is enough).

Anyway, it seems taht the stc800ih PPD is broken. Nobody else had that
problem? (The EJL control sequence being printed)

Thanks,
J.