Bad cups printing after upgrade from sarge to etch

Hi.

I had a sarge system running as a print server. After upgrading it to
etch, I recreated the cups config files (the old ones didn't work) and
the printers.

The strange thing is... I have an Epson Stylus Color 850, and there are
two drivers in the list given by Cups that would work with it:

- CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0
- Foomatic/stc800ih.upp

So... The Gutenprint driver doesn't seem to honor what I give in the
configuration web page. It always renders with low resolution.
I tried choosing all combinations of:

Print Quality: Manual Control, High, Best
Resolution: "720 DPI", "1440 x 720 DPI Highest Resolution"

on the web interface.

And the stc800ih.upp prints with the resolution I choose, but always prints
an EJL control sequence before printing the job:

284.4
@EJL

I found a few references to this on the web, but nothing that actually
helped (mostly Windows users complaining about it and being told to, er,
"remove the banner generated by the application").

I didn't find anything in the bug tracking system that could help.

Maybe there's something I forgot to check?

Thanks a lot,
J.