Re: GPL v3?

debian-legal@lists.debian.org

> >The GPLv2 is very good and has enough language in it already, but
> >some feel the asterix and tivo stuff seriously violate the spirit.
> >
> >Nah, they just skirt along the line. Which is fine.
>
> And the furor they create _by_ skirting the line reinforces and
> reinvigorates community awareness of what the GPL stands for, which
> helps maintain efforts to keep GPL'd software users, like Tivo,
> honest.

So, let me ask you, when you drive the speed limit, you are skirting the
law. Or if in a 55MPH speed limit area and you drive 55MPH... exactly,
are you are skirting the law (and therefore staying within the limits of
the law) or are you breaking the spirit of the law and should be
punished extremely?

Here in, lies my problems with the "GPLv2 isn't good enough" and the
"GPLv3 must impose additional restrictions" camps. This will cause harm
to something that has for so long, been a guiding light to the FOSS
community/movement.

Why move the lighthouse further out into the sea at such a cost, when it
already is just fine where it is.

And Please understand this is the "summary" version. By no means is it
my complete version. debian-legal is the place for this.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup