Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?

Michael Pobega wrote:
 [snip]
>> I agree that something needs to be done so that Sid doesn't have to
>> freeze when Testing freezes.  Right now there are loads of packages
>> waiting in experimental for Etch to release so they can enter Sid.  It's
>> kind of hard claiming to be running a bleeding edge distro when some of
>> your apps are 2 releases behind upstream.
>
>> I can understand the reasoning behind the current situation, but that
>> doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
>
> The developers are focusing on fixing the bugs in testing, if Sid
> wasn't frozen the developers would have to split resources to fix bugs
> in Sid and testing at the same time. That would mean that stable
> releases would take MUCH longer.
>
> In my opinion it's nice to have some downtime from bugs every once in
> a while. Gives us time to discuss OT stuff on the list, although it
> does piss off a lot of people. What else are we supposed to do in the
> downtime? :)

Good point.

>> Also, the snippet about Debian on this weeks distrowatch weekly
>
>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070402
>
>> mentions that we run a very old glibc to keep compatibilty with so many
>> architectures.  I understand that, but doesn't that make us less
>> appealing to the x86 crowd, and offer potential problems with newer
>> software based on newer libraries?
>

> Depends who you're aiming to appeal. I run a x86 machine, and I really
> see no problem with an old glibc. I'd rather have Debian stay the
> stable distro it is than worry about having everything "up to date".
> It's not the computer you're aiming to please, it's the end user. And
> it's up to the end user to decide what he/she wants out of a
> distribution.

Very true.  Nothing is forcing anyone to choose Debian, unless of course
it is forced by their employer, but somehow I doubt that.  You're quite
correct in pointing out the end user is the target, but I sometimes
wonder which end user Debian is targeting, administrators or average
people wanting to get work done with their computer.

The way I see it, it could be both.  The greatest benefit I see to
Debian is the fact that one can install a minimal system and then build
it to suit their needs without having to compile anything if they don't
want to.  There are only a few others like that, and they don't have
near the number of developers that Debian has, nor do they support
nearly as many packages.

Joe

- --