Mozilla and Flash

Running Mozilla/5.0 1.7.8-1sarge10    (current stable release).

I am curious whether it is possible to get some version of Flash to work?
Here is what I did to this point:

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree   (appeared to download and
install correctly)

From Mozilla > help > about Plug-ins    - no Flash listed

Searched for the Flash download.
Found:   /var/cache/apt/archives/flashplugin-nonfree_7.0.25-5_i386.deb

Tried (as root) :     dpkg -i flashplugin-nonfree_7.0.25-5_i386.deb

Churned away a bit and returned to prompt.

Still no Flash available in Mozilla.

Went to youtube to determine if the plugin was installed but I was
just too thick to see it.
When clicking on a video, message shown was "JavaScript turned off or
an old version of Flash Player....yadayada"

Anybody got a hint or even better, a solution (one that does not
involve -- wait for Etch, etc...I know someone wants to say that!) ???

Thanks, all
Dave W.