Re: Permissions Question

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 05:19:29PM -0700, Jeff D wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Thomas H. George wrote:

> >>Hi Tom,
> >>
> >>This sounds kind of odd .. How are you getting into X?  You really
> >>shouldnt have to modify permissions to run these apps.  Why did you have
> >>to modify permissions to start a console window?
> >>

> >I am ashamed to say I don't remember exactly.  I think the sequence was
> >that first X wouldn't start. Checking .mozilla on my other box I saw the
> >owners were tom:tom so I set the .mozilla owners on the new box to
> >tom:tom.  I probably next did apt-get install icewm and the
> >/etc/init.d/gdm restart.  Then I was into X but the apps didn't work.  I
> >changed some of the permissions to 744 - again matching my other box -
> >and then could open the console window but the other apps aborted with
> >startup errors.  I tried strace -e trace=open and saw a lot of failures
> >but on my old box I also saw many failures so I counldn't pinpoint any
> >problem.  At this point I tried opening the apps from the console window
> >as root and they started with no problems.
> >
> >To keep all the information in one posting I will also respond to other
> >replies.
> >
> >	First, both iceape and openoffice are in /usr/bin.  openoffice is
> >	a softlink to ooo-wrapper.  All of these have rwxr-xr-x
> >	permissions and are owned by root:root.
> >
> >	Second, I have tried apt-get --reinstall install openoffice.org
> >	to no effect.
> >
> >A final note:  I tried starting gnome instead of icewm it started but
> >with limited capabilities - I could not access any apps.
> >
> >Tom
>
> So, gdm is not starting at boot?  Are you starting that as root? What
> happens if you run startx from the command line, as tom, not root?  It
> sounds like you dont have the proper permissions to connect to the X
> server.

I rebooted and gdm starts, opens icewm with aforementioned problems.

I can only stop gdm as root.

If I run startx as tom it starts gdm and opens icewm with the same
problems.  If I run startx as root it opens gnome and if I try to switch
users to tom its a no-op, the desktop remains open with root as the
user.

Tom