Permissions Question

After netinst of etch attempts to start iceape and openoffice as a regular user fail. I was able to alter permissions to allow a regular user to open a console window. If, in the console window I become root, then as root I can successfully start and user both iceape and openoffice. I need to alter the permissions so a regular use can use these programs and root is not allowed to access the internet from iceape but I haven't found the proper way to do this.

Tom George