Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Monday, 02.04.2007 at 10:27 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> Accepted by people who don't know better.
> >>
> >> Hopefully when they *do* know better they'll pronounce it
> >> correctly.
> >
> >>From the PostgreSQL FAQ:
> >
> > General Questions
> >
> > 1.1) What is PostgreSQL? How is it pronounced?
> >
> > PostgreSQL is pronounced Post-Gres-Q-L, and is also sometimes
> > referred to as just Postgres. An audio file is available in MP3
> > format for those would like to hear the pronunciation.  ...  -
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item1.1
> >
> > It would appear to me that the very people in charge of PostgreSQL
> > are far less anal and insulting about it then you are.

(Thanks CaT for that moment of sanity!)

> I truly apologize if it seems that I am getting angry, because I'm not
> even getting aggravated about this, much less angry.

Ron,

In that case, you *really* need to work on the way you come across
on-list.  A series of remarks such as "And that's wrong.", "Accepted by
people who don't know better" and "When they do know better..." come
across as insulting.  If that's not how you really feel about it, then
you have to accept that you have a problem correctly presenting your
feelings on-list; or, rather, that you have a problem whereby you come
across more aggressively than you intend.

You make a large number valuable technical contributions to this list,
which is excellent: this is the first time you've come across in this
manner (to me, at least), which was unexpected.

Back on thread...

"... and is also sometimes referred to as just Postgres" was exactly
what I'm getting at.

Ron: can I politely suggest that unless you're prepared to make a
contribution other than "You're all wrong, it's pronounced <however> and
anyone who says something else doesn't know better" (in which case
you've completely misunderstood the purpose of this thread) then you
should refrain from following-up on this thread any more.

Thanks,

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!