Re: Debian User List

s. keeling wrote:
> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl>:

[snip]

>>> be, I've decided to unsubscribe.
>>  Well, goodbye (if you ever see this John)
>
> There's always the archives at lists.debian.org if he's curious.  I
> suspect he'll be happier at *buntu.  Feh.

Yes, and I don't use them nearly as much as I should.  I usually just
google things and end up finding the debian list :)

>>  I expect that when Etch releases, this list will be flooded with people
>>  requesting help,
>
> Yup.  Always has been in the past at least.
>
>>  and while I might not know the answers to everything, I might
>>  actually be able to help people and by doing so be giving something
>>  to the community.  So far I think I have helped a total of 3 people
>>  and gotten 2 thank you messages for that.
>
> Three.  Thank you.  I've been doing what you're doing now since the
> late '90s.  It's community.  Help newbies, and you help newbies to
> become more than newbies, and when they're more than newbies, they can
> begin to provide useful bug reports, and that helps the DDs, and that
> helps Debian, and that helps upstream, and that helps Free Software,
> and that creates a better world.  Die, entropy, die!  :-)

Couldn't agree more.  Maybe I should keep a list of people that I help
so when someone starts flaming me, I can retort by saying, well, I might
have not helped you, but I have helped {paste list here} and they seemed
happy with me.

Not likely to do such a thing, but it is handy to be prepared.

>>  I am looking forward to being able to provide help to new users and
>>  give thanks to the people who have directly or indirectly helped
>>  me.  I am thankful that I found this list and although I am not
>>  real happy about the large amount of off-topic discussion, I do not
>>  regret subscribing to this list, nor do I plan on unsubscribing.
>
> I'm pretty sure I remember writing the same thing close to a decade ago.

I bet if I searched the archives (mentioned above) I might even be able
to find you (and many others) saying the same thing.  I think that this
list is about that.  Letting people that use Debian talk about whatever
they want, and provide help when it is requested.  We all have one thing
in common and that is that we use Debian (or at least some variant of
it).  That is what keeps us here.

> Piker.  :-)  Have fun.

Oh I've been having a blast.  Dumping Windows and switching to GNU/Linux
makes me feel like I am much younger, like I was back in school again.
So much to learn....

Joe

- --