Re: Debian User List

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 11:30:17AM EDT, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi(kamaraju@bluebottle.com) is reported to have said:
> > Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> >
> > > Well, if people use [OT] on the subject I don't think there is any serious
> > > problem.
> > >

> > Whom are you kidding? Some of us pay by the amount of bandwidth used. All
> > the OT threads do cost us money. Moreover, there is the cost of archiving
> > all these discussions which are not relevant to debian project.

Yeah, right.

Ever checked the actual bandwidth of an entire OT thread as compared
with a single commercial web page with just a half a dozen jpeg's ..
tiff's and media flash stuff..?

Mountains out of molehills.

And as Wayne says below if you must be 100% technical in your mailing
list adventures, OT threads give you an excellent opportunity to improve
you mail filtering skills.

> There is an easy way to prevent getting in a tizzy over all of the OT
> mail.  Dump it.  That way you don't get upset, don't offend anyone,
> and keep your blood pressure down.
>
> I'm too old to bother with it so I just have murx, delete it at the Pop
> server.  It's a lot better then creating a new OT thread about all the
> OT posts that don't interest you.
>
> Murx makes it so easy I only have to read a few OT posts, then add a
> line to one of my filter files.
>
> DENY = "^Subject:.*Woohooo! Dell + Linux"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*Which OS?"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*non-Debian"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*dumb query"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*Politics"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*XP OEM"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*OEM or Retail"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*sponge burning*"
> DENY = "^Subject:.*OT."
>
> I don't complain about what I don't see.
>
> Just my .02 cents.

Live and let live.

Thanks,
cga