Re: Accessing windows partition through debian etch

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 12:40:05PM +0100, andy wrote:
> C?dric Lucantis wrote:
 >
> >And no, reinstalling windows shouldn't touch the debian's partitions,
> >unless you ask for it, but it will replace your boot loader and you'll
> >have to reinstall it...
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply - this is sounding less of a disaster. How
> would I go about reinstalling the bootloader (sorry if this is a dumb
> question, but I don't want to screw things up). And yes, should have
> been more explicit - the partitions *are* on the same box.

I don't do doze.

If you haven't backed up everything, then do that first.

What bootloader do you use?  If you have a floppy drive, make a
grub-disk (package grub-disk).  If you dont' know grub, read the manual
and practice first.

Have a debian installer disk/cd available and practice with in in rescue
mode.  On Etch's, you get a menu item for installing the boot loader.
Other than that, you chroot into your / partition and then run whatever
command installs the boot loader (its been too long since I ran lilo to
remember how to do that).

Doug.