Re: Crashed X - Hard re-boot

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 19:59:35 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> > > If you don't want this to happen then you should use gdm or xdm or kdm,
> > > then you just start gdm and terminal 1 is free ;-)
> >
> > I think another advantage of using [xkg]dm is avoiding the CTRL-ALT-F1,
> > CTRL-Z attack against the X screen lock (if you leave your computer
> > unattended and somebody else could walk along and use the keyboard).
>
> So switch to vt2, log in, and run vlock -a

This works but it is somewhat cumbersome. I always thought that the
point of the X screen lock was to enable you to lock your workstation
without fuss, even if you have to leave it quickly. Pressing CTRL-ALT-L
is a reflex for me whenever I get up from my computer; I doubt that I
could bring myself to always run through your procedure. Of course you
can automate it, but how many normal users will bother to do so?

> After all, what happens if X dies when you're using *dm?

I think in this case you are returned to tty1 (or to whichever tty was
active before *dm started) and you will just see the blinking login
prompt. At least, that is what happens if I log in via ssh and kill an
active (logged-in) kdm session.

--
Regards,
          Florian