Re: xine: no plugin for MRL

On Saturday 31 March 2007 17:11, B_Kloss wrote:
> Am Samstag, 31. März 2007 16:20 schrieb Douglas Allan Tutty:
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 08:54:04AM +0200, Bernd Kloss wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >  on three different computers, all Etch 2.6.18-3-k7, KDE 3.5, Kaffeine
> > > 0.83
> > >
> > > DVDs recorded from TV with a normal DVD-recorder can be played
> > > correctly.
> > >
> > > But some commercial DVDs can only be played on one of them.
> > >
> > > Following error (translated message) occurs on the other two computers:
> > >
> > > Source cannot be read.
> > > No sufficient rights or no data on source
> > > xine: cannot find plugin for MRL [dvd:///dev/hdc]
> > > xine: plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:///dev/hdc]
> >
> > Do you have in your /etc/apt/sources.list a line like:
> >
> >  deb http://debian-multimedia.org etch main
> >
> > You see, the commercial DVDs use non-free encodings that can't be used
> > in debian proper.  So debian-multimedia has packages.  If you look at
> > the depencencies and recommends of the DVD playing packages (and their
> > libs), if you aren't using debian-multimedia you may see some that say
> > "unavailable".  (I use aptitude interactive; I don't know how to look at
> > this from the command line).
> >
> > Doug.
>
> I am afraid, this may not be the reason, because all three computers are
> using the same sources.list:
>

> deb http://debian-multimedia.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/ etch main
> is where I am getting no free stuff.
>
> Anyway, thank you!
>
> Bernd

Another thought also, is do you have libdvdcss installed on all 3 machines?

If not it might explain why you can play your homemade dvd's, but can only
play some commercial dvd's on the one machine that you may have libdvdcss
installed on.

Libdvdcss is needed for playing encrypted dvd's, and synaptic shows it as the
package libdvdcss2

Nigel.