Re: how to install debian if I can "only" boot from harddisk ?

Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 01:44:07PM +0800, Ken Hu wrote:
> > Dear All:
> >
> > I found myself in a strange situation.
> > The dvd rom of my notebook is broken(can not read anything), and
> > there's no other removable devices like floppy or usb pen that can
> > be used on that notebook.
> > The only way I can boot is from the existed WindowsXP on 1 of my 2
> > partitions.
> >
> > So , if I want to install debian on the other partition , what can I
> > do ?
> > I just want to know is this the end that I should not go any
> > further to find some solutions ?
> >

> Just do a standard hd-media install.  The kernel, initrd, and
> netinst.iso get put on the partition you want to keep (windoze), but
> the trick is booting.  I've never run 'doze so don't know how to
> operate its boot loader.

IMHO the http://goodbye-microsoft.com option is much
easier/cleaner/whatever, but for completeness and archives sake ...

... it is possible to boot with grub through ntldr (Windows bootloader).
I used this method in the past to boot Knoppix iso's. This method
however relied on a modified initrd (and kernel?) and is described here
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition . I'm sure it can be used to
boot the debian-installer, but whether this has already been
implemented or you need to hack initrd and/or kernel for this, I don't
know. Google should know more about this.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)