Re: how to install debian if I can "only" boot from harddisk ?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 01:44:07PM +0800, Ken Hu wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> I found myself in a strange situation.
> The dvd rom of my notebook is broken(can not read anything), and there's
> no other removable devices like floppy or usb pen that can be used on
> that notebook.
> The only way I can boot is from the existed WindowsXP on 1 of my 2
> partitions.
>
> So , if I want to install debian on the other partition , what can I
> do ?
> I just want to know is this the end that I should not go any further to
> find some solutions ?

Just do a standard hd-media install.  The kernel, initrd, and
netinst.iso get put on the partition you want to keep (windoze), but the
trick is booting.  I've never run 'doze so don't know how to operate its
boot loader.

Can your laptop's bios boot from the network and do you have another
linux box to act as a boot server?  Do a standard net-boot install.

Put the drive in another computer (laptop or desktop with adapter) and
install grub onto it.

Whatever you do, have all your data backed up.

Good luck.

Doug.