Re: Need help with SSH set-up

On 3/31/07, Paul E Condon  wrote:
I'm setting up SSH to replace telnet for use on my LAN.  I've gotten
basic functionality working but I'm struggling with ssh-agent and
ssh-add. Where should I put them? Or have invocation of them already
been planted in boot-up scripts somewhere awaiting my flipping a few
config switches?

See /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ and the use-ssh-agent configuration option in
/etc/X11/Xsession.options.

ssh-agent should already be started for you if you simply use the
default setup.  Simply run ssh-add from a gnome-terminal.

I'm running Etch with tasksel configured desktop environment.  My
style of working doesn't use GUI much, but I have _many_
gnome-terminal windows open, and I want ssh links to several computers
on my screen. From reading a few advise web sites I get the impression
that I could reduce typing of passphrase by using ssh-agent and
ssh-add, but I can't figure out how.

And then it might be that these programs actually serve an entirely
different purpose than I believe.

Advice?

HTH.
--