Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

Zbigniew Wiech <Zbigniew_Wiech@netia.pl> wrote:

> (Dell's price)
> > Doesn't basic economics dictate that given competition, the
> > equilibrium price is determined by both supply and demand? Even if
> > I'm willing to pay a great deal, if the cost to produce the item is
> > low, competition should drive down the price. Are you implying that
> > the market is a monopoly or oligarchy ?
>
> Definitely yes.
>
> Show me a worker, a farmer, a biology teacher, a bank employee etc
> willing to buy MS Windows separately and install it themselves on
> their new desktop. Let's skip some level of piracy here.

Even worse. In Romania most (if not all) home computers are bought
without Windows preinstalled (at least not officially), but they still
end up with Windows on them. The level of piracy is somewhere around
90%.

An interesting trend is that some small businesses who can't afford to
run pirated software, but also don't want/can't afford to pay for MS
Office are using OpenOffice.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)