Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 01:11:06AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > > tech support folks stop saying 'but you need to use windows for us to
> > > diagnose the problem before we can authorizes this' or similar.
> >
> > FWIW, the diagnostics, etc CD that Dell ships with servers is Linux
> > based.
> >
> I found this: http://linux.dell.com/monitoring.shtml which points to
> info about the include omsa -- open manage server administrator for
> linux-- which is on a cd included with a server. and further down it
> mentions about a user made centos live cd with this omsa. This is great
> new for server customers. although what do laptop users do when dell
> level 1 support asks about using windows to help them with your
> problems. That day is when 'desktop linux' will arrive.

If I were them? 'Please insert the diagnostics CD that came with your
laptop/computer.' and take it from there.

Unless you get software support with your pc/laptop and that's something
they seem to offer seperately.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."