Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:20:23 -0500

> On 03/29/07 08:55, Paul Walsh wrote:
> > Passed to me by a colleague:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6506027.stm
> >
> > *grin*
>
> There will be a limited number of models and they'll be more
> expensive (if for no other reason than companies like Symantec can't
> sell ad space on a Linux desktop).
>
> Thus, sales will be low and Dell will be justified in considering
> the project a failure.
>
> In /. terms, itsatrap.

That's what I never get about this whole business; I want them to do
linux to *lower* the cost by the cost of the windows license. I suppose
they're targeting people who want the convenience, not the cost saving.
I'd actually rather do the install myself, to customize it properly, so
I suppose what I really want is a no OS box, cheaper by the cost of a
Windows license from the equivalent Windows one. I believe that they
offered no OS boxes (with FreeDos, IIRC) at least at one point, but I
don't think they were cheaper than the Windows ones.

Celejar