RE: [ML ISSUE] reply-to field ?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote on Friday, March 30, 2007 3:31 PM -0500:

> The whole fact that "majority" of other mailing lists and their users
> does not know about this does not mean it's useless.

You mean it _could_ be useful if most others went along, which they
haven't.  There are a lot of things about normal SMTP practice that
violate recent RFC's and I personally don't like.  For something
that doesn't affect mail transport, but is a matter of how MUA's
interpret trace headers, most people feel they have bigger fish to
fry.  To fix this problem, you need to convince not only the makers
of numerous MTA's to change, but the maintainers of mailing list
packages and a large number of mailing list administrators.

That's a large enough hurdle that I think it safe to say the horse
has left the barn on this one a long time ago.  Continuing to insist
that things _should_ have been different, long past the point where
that is feasible, only makes us look foolish.  In that, we have been
successful.

--
Seth Goodman