Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 22:31 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Kevin Mark writes:
> > the cost of dell (or other products) includes window support and payments
> > from Microsoft and other software makers. This is almost the 'profit' to
> > dell. With an o/s less computer, they would not get this 'profit'...
>
> You are not making sense.  Rest assured that there is a _large_ flow of
> money from Dell to Microsoft.
>
> > Unless they said that you would not get any support and you'd have to pay
> > for it from a 3rd party.
>
> The sensible way to handle hardware support independent of any installed
> software would be to ship each pc with a bootable CD with custom Dell test
> software.  Linux would make a convenient base for such a CD.

IBM does this already for the X series servers. Patch sets, firmware
updates, OS installs. IBM has been doing this since 1999, that I recall.

It would be exceptionally simple to make a LiveCD with firmware, BIOS,
and diag tools to make thing easy. Think, that is 1 relatively talented
person can re-spin Knoppix or other LiveCDs how hard would it be for
*DELL* to do it? Not very.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup