Re: dhcp problem

Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:54:34 +0600
> "S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)" <smibrahim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My isp is providing me the ip using DHCP. everything fine. But they are
>> sending 3 nameserver. And first DNS server is not responding. SO it take
>> time to switch to the secound dns. So, it's making problem (slow down).
>> I want to keep fix (will not updated or replace by dhcp) the
>> /etc/resolv.conf with only 2 nameserver (that are working).
>> Any idea, how to do this ?
>
>>From 'man dhclient':
>
>>  The supersede statement
>>
>>         supersede [ option declaration ] ;
>>
>>        If for some option the client should always  use  a  locally-configured
>>        value  or  values rather than whatever is supplied by the server, these
>>        values can be defined in the supersede statement.
>
> So if you're using dhclient you could try something like:
>
> supersede domain-name-servers a.b.c d.e.f
>
> Also from the manpage:
>
>>  The request statement
>>
>>         request [ option ] [, ... option ];
>>
>>        The  request  statement  causes  the  client to request that any server
>>        responding to the client send the client its values for  the  specified
>>        options.    Only  the  option  names should be specified in the request
>>        statement - not  option  parameters.    By  default,  the  DHCP  server
>>        requests  the  subnet-mask,  broadcast-address,  time-offset,  routers,
>>        domain-name, domain-name-servers and host-name options.
>
> So you could write a request line and omit 'domain-name-servers'.
>
> I have not tried any of this.
>
> HTH,
> Celejar

I had a similar problem.  The file /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf is the file
that controls resolv.conf (at least on this system).  You can specify
which DNS is used first by using

prepend domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;

replacing of course the x's with the ip address of the DNS.  This line
is already present using 127.0.0.1 but is commented out.

I have tried it, and it works.

Joe
- --