Re: sshd daemon failed to start

Please don't top post.

anisadmin@gmail.com:

> unfortunately  the invoke-rc.d  didn't  succeeded to force sshd init, the
> output to stdout  is the echo sentence of start init script :
> Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.

Strange. Looks perfect.

> despite set of log level debug3 in the sshd_config i found no log in syslog,
> note that my log config is:
> # Logging
> SyslogFacility AUTH

As I understand it, AUTH should still go to syslog (*and* auth.loh). But
nevermind.

> LogLevel DEBUG3
> Mar 29 12:53:19 fwnet sshd[5030]: fatal: daemon() failed: Success

Did you google already for that message? One hit I am finding suggests
to check that /dev/null is a character device, not a regular file. if it
doesn't look like this:

ls -lh /dev/null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 2007-03-25 16:24 /dev/null

you can delete it and recreate it with the command 'mknod /dev/null c 1
3'

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.