Re: sshd daemon failed to start

unfortunately  the invoke-rc.d  didn't  succeeded to force sshd init, the output to stdout  is the echo sentence of start init script :
Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
despite set of log level debug3 in the sshd_config i found no log in syslog, note that my log config is:
# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel DEBUG3
so we have error in auth.log
Mar 29 12:52:22 fwnet sshd[5003]: fatal: daemon() failed: Success
Mar 29 12:53:19 fwnet sshd[5030]: fatal: daemon() failed: Success
i tried another log facility i find the same log error in syslog and daemon.log.
note that today as i didn't find solution, i reinstalled ssh package successfully  with apt-get and dpkg --purge so my sshd config is from default.

On 3/29/07, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
anisadmin@gmail.com:
> i have sarge 3.1 kernel 2.6 ,the start-stop-daemon in the init.d script
> cannot start the ssh daemon , no error is printed to stdout , error logged
> in /var/log/auth.log :
> sshd[4008]: fatal: daemon() failed: Success

Run 'invoke-rc.d ssh restart' and post the terminal output as well as
relevant lines from /var/log/syslog.

J.
--
I feel yawning hollowness whilst talking to people at parties.
[Agree]   [Disagree]