Re: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y, ACPI, and uswsusp

> I am attempting to get uswsusp working on my Debian Sid machine. After
> reading the docs, a couple of SuSe web pages
> (http://en.opensuse.org/S2disk) regarding s2ram and s2disk I am stuck on
> one detail: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y. I can not find this kernel option
> anywhere when attempting to configure the kernel. Whether it's the
> debian 2.6.18 source or the kernel.org 2.6.20 source; can't be found.
> Not under the ACPI options, nor the CPU frequency scaling options.
>
> Attempting to dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp results in:
>
> Your kernel doesn't support userspace software
> suspend
>

>     Your kernel doesn't support userspace sofware suspend. Please
> reconfigure your kernel to include
>     CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y and recompile.

In 2.6.18, it's under 'Power Management Options'. Check 'Software
Suspend'.

I'm sorry for being slightly offtopic, but how can I know if my PC supports suspend-to-disk?
I frequently have several programs open and I sometimes keep the PC on overnight in order to have the same open programs in the morning. It would be better on the environment if I always powered down the computer.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.