CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y, ACPI, and uswsusp

I am attempting to get uswsusp working on my Debian Sid machine. After reading the docs, a couple of SuSe web pages (http://en.opensuse.org/S2disk) regarding s2ram and s2disk I am stuck on one detail: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y. I can not find this kernel option anywhere when attempting to configure the kernel. Whether it's the debian 2.6.18 source or the kernel.org 2.6.20 source; can't be found. Not under the ACPI options, nor the CPU frequency scaling options.
Attempting to dpkg-reconfigure uswsusp results in:

Your kernel doesn't support userspace software suspend Your kernel doesn't support userspace sofware suspend. Please reconfigure your kernel to include
   CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y and recompile.

By the way, the hardware is an Asus A8N-SLI desktop motherboard.

Thanks.