Cannot write file > 1GB to DVD-RAM : any way to fix?

I changed how I was backing up my system, and now need to write larger files
to my Panasonic LF-D521 DVD-RAM (backup drive).  Unfortunately it chokes a
bit over 1GB, reporting that the file size is too large.  'umount'ing takes
a really long time as well.

The disk[s] have been formatted with the udf file system.
This problem occurs with each of the several disks that I tried.

Any suggestions on how I can store larger files?

TIA for any hints or pointers to Fine Manuals!

	-frank