Re: find encoding of filenames

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Kevin Mark wrote:

maybe this would help: utf8-migration-tool

This tool seems to work either on the whole /home/user directory or on the
whole system. I do not want that. I just want to convert the encoding of
filenames that belong to a single directory. I do not want to migrate the
whole system to utf8.

Is iconv what you are looking for?
NAME
       iconv - Convert encoding of given files from one encoding to another

SYNOPSIS
       iconv -f encoding -t encoding inputfile

DESCRIPTION
The iconv program converts the encoding of characters in inputfile from one coded character set to another. The result is written to standard output unless otherwise specified by the --output option.

Moreover, the original question still remains. Given a bunch of files, how
do I determine their current encoding?

Use file command perhaps? Real example:
$> file foo.txt
foo.txt: UTF-8 Unicode text