find encoding of filenames

1. Given a bunch of files, how can I find out the encoding of their
filenames?
2. Which encoding is the best, more portable, should be preferred...?

Why I need this?
I am trying to burn couple of files on Debian Etch using k3b (0.12.17).
These files were originally located on another machine running Fedora Core
1 and I copied them onto the Debian machine. However when I am trying to
burn them using k3b, I am getting the following error

Encountered an incorrectly encoded filename xxxxx.map
This may be caused by a system update which changed the local character set.
You may use convmv (http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/) to fix the filename
encoding.
Could not determine size of resulting image file.

However inorder to use convmv, I need to know the original encoding and
figure out the final encoding and then apply convmv.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

thanks
raju

--