i810 graphics problem (was: Second Install not going so well)

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 13:17:29 -0400, Jan Sneep wrote:

[...]

> Well there were a few differences in terms of what I was asked during
> the install. I'm guessing that the problem I'm having now has to do
> with the display drivers. Last time the install couldn't sense what
> the adapter was and asked me some questions about the physical size of
> my monitor. This time it presented a list of adapters and I selected
> the highlighted one. The display was sharp, in focus and perfect
> during the install and while it is booting the text is perfect, then
> at about the point that the login screen should appear the display
> goes, not black, but a grainy grey with fine reddish streaks.
>
> The video adapter is built into the mother board and so I went to the
> HP web site to see if I could find out what it is and this is what I
> found;
>
> Video Graphics down (on motherboard) integrated in chipset. No AGP
> slot.  Attribute  Properties  Video graphics  PCI local bus
> Controller  Intel 810 E  Video memory  11 MB shared memory ;
>
> integrated graphics;
>
> not upgradable  Feature connector (game/joystick)  Yes  Resolutions:
> 640 x 480  16/256/32 K/64 K/16.7 M colors
> 800 x 600 16/256/32 K/64 K colors
> 1024 x 768 16/256/32 K/64 K colors
> 1280 x 1024 256 colors
>
> So any idea how I can fix this problem without having to wipe the
> drive and re-install (1.5 hours to download the 500 odd meg of files)
> and then guess again as to the proper diver?

There should be no need to reinstall (unless it turns out that Sarge is
too old for your video card, but I don't think so). You have a
configuration problem somewhere; maybe you are producing a video signal
that is out of range for the monitor.

Please post the output of the following three commands:

lspci | egrep -i 'video|vga|display'

awk '/Section "(Device|Monitor)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log

--
Regards,
          Florian