Re: What is this kernel error?

Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 11:23:15PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 23:12 -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
>>> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 08:56:21PM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> <snip>
>>> that is at least SOMETHING useful. If you have an issue after you
>>> changed the kernel, then the 1st logical step is to try to boot with the
>>> last kernel, assuming that it is possible and see if the issue still
>>> happens.
>> It is *X* and his screensaver. It took three seconds of typing in a
>> Google search widget and reading a few things.
>
> *What* did you search for? *Where* did you search? When I searched for
> the error on Google all I got was a single result that related it to
> mplayer, which clearly was *not* relevant.
>
>> He was not able to even give us context *UNTIL* he said he left and
>> *MAYBE* the screensaver kicked in and of all things, in a rant back to
>> me.
>
> Maybe it was the phase of the moon! That comment about the screensaver
> was meant to be satirical.
>
> Again, the screensaver has come on *many*, *many* times since the last
> reboot. What is different about this time? Is it a particular
> screensaver module? (I have it set to random so I never know which one
> will fire up next.) If it is a particular module, has a bug report been
> filed?
>
>> I guess we can't trust people to even look for themselves anymore.
>
> Don't make unfounded assumptions.
>
>> Rick Pasotto has been round filed in my book.
>
> *You* started the nastiness with your snide comment in response to a
> simple question.
>
> "Well, you know more than we do. We don't even have the machine at our
> disposal."
>
> Maybe we should all post our boot.logs and syslogs and 'ps ax' (of
> course it kinda hard to do that for x minutes ago) and who knows what
> else for every little question we have. Would *that* be sufficient
> context?
>
> A little bit of *friendly* Q&A to zero in on the *relevant* context
> might be more productive.

Could we calm down a bit?

IMO, Greg is right in saying we needed more information, and you are
right in saying that the cause of the error was hard for you to pinpoint.

What seems to be lacking here is the understanding of the first message,
which was "Does anyone know what this error means" sort of question, not
"How do I fix my problem" sort of question.

I would like to know which terms Greg searched for as well.  One can
always refine their search ability.

So at this point we can say.  Rick still gets the error on occasion and
Greg knows how to solve it, but won't tell Rick because he's upset with him.

The comment "You know more than we do" was specific to your machine.  He
wasn't saying that you know more about Debian, he was saying you know
more about what happens on your computer.

Maybe I should just butt out since I also don't know what causes that
error and don't run that kernel.

Joe
- --