Re: pppconfig "command not found"

On Sunday 25 March 2007 06:58, eklektik sent this for all our perusal:
<cut huge chunks and spaces>
>---} Thanks for clarifying the issue. I wait till the final version come out
> hoping that it will include the package. In the mean time I take up the
> issue on the developer-testing list or file a bug report as you suggested.
> ---}
>---} Jmak

I usually install with "expert" typed in at the command prompt so I have more
control, and once the base system is installed and reboots, select my own
packages. This works in Sarge as well as Etch. I have an early and broken
install for the latter and can still install etch from that. So it works.

But even on a just "hit Enter" install you may get a list of modules to load
during the install. Use cursor keys to scroll down to the ppp module, and the
space bar to select it. Then continue.

At some point in the install the installer asks if you want to install from
the Internet. Even if you are not connected, select "yes". Have your modem
switched on anyway.

Then the installer will ask if you want to configure ppp or a connection to
the Internet? Again answer yes, then go through the prompts and unless you
want it for another name allow "provider" to be the default and answer
correctly at the prompt for telephone number, login name etc.. When complete
and it's presented to you at the end of this process. Read it and make
certain all is well, and select "yes" to have it written to the file.

Then get back to the installers main menu and keep going.

You will find that the installer will dial out for you. If you have an
Internet connection and your modem switched on, it will connect, if you've
supplied the correct information.

That will happen even as you are answering questions and will show what is
happening on your monitor.

You don't have to install from the Internet then, you can just keep using your
CD/DVD. The installer will tell you what it can't get hold of or whatever as
it goes along.

It's then up to you if you disconnect or leave the system connected. I usually
don't like to leave the system connected until I have a firewall enabled and
configured. But having said that, I have also left the connection on, and
found the default firewall very good.

I think that pppconfig is not on the disks, in etch at any rate, till the
third CD, if you're installing from CD. So maybe that's why you can't find it
if you have only one. But as you see, the installer will create the dialup
files for you during the install, if you request it to do so.

HTH
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524